Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Around the World in 80 Days

We did it!

We finished our reading and study of Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne.

This book was nothing like I thought it was going to be.  I mean, I knew it wasn't going to be anything like the Disney version, but still.  I actually thought it was going to be boring and dry and I couldn't have been more wrong! (Where do we get these ideas anyway?)  We couldn't wait to see what happened in the next chapter and it had us laughing many times.  I also was afraid it would be too "adult" but again  I was wrong.  It was a very appropriate book and actually led us into some really good character assessment discussions as well as discussion on drugs and alcohol.  These topics were brought to the surface in this book in a way that showed the consequences of this lifestyle. I remember some time ago another homeschool mom warned me that there was a lot of deceit in this book.  Maybe that's where I got the idea that it was inappropriate??  Anyway, yes there was deception, again part of that character assessment!  In no way were any of the "sins" of the parties glorified.  Instead ingenuity, resourcefulness, loyalty, compassion and "stick-to-it-tiveness" were displayed.  Overall we really enjoyed this book.

We followed up by watching this 1956 version of the movie.
Academy Award Winning Around the World in 80 Days

While of course it didn't follow the book exactly it was spectacular!

It even held my 13yo son's attention.  In this day of x-box and computers that's saying a lot.

At the end of the study the unit book asked, "Are you interested in reading other books by Jules Verne?"

We say, "Yes"!

No comments: