Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Notes on Habits

Notes from Sonya Shafer @ Simply Charlotte Mason

I was cleaning out paperwork and found a very scribbled set of notes I wrote down on the back of scrap paper. I think I was listening to her CD on Habits.  I'm going to try to rewrite them here and make a little sense out of them!

Charlotte Mason -- "The effort of decision is the greatest effort in life."

(Okay a personal note here.  Ain't it the truth!?! Indecisiveness runs rampant in my family and it is such a waste of time and effort!  I suffer greatly from this just deciding what menus to use or whether to go to the store now or tomorrow, or which math book should we use etc. etc.   I drive myself crazy!  And my daughter is just as bad. She once was asked what she wanted to do when she grew up and she replied, "I can't even decide what candy bar to get at the store!"  True story.  I could write a whole post just on this  subject and maybe I will.  I just can't decide.)


3 kinds of lying:
#1 intentional deception
#2 being careless of gathering facts
#3 careless in communicating the facts
(value of truth)

Habit = railroad track
work on ONE HABIT AT A TIME for 6-8 weeks

The mother who takes pains to endow children with good habits secures for herself smooth and easy days.

1. One at a time: repetition ~neurons sequence/patterns; deal with offences immediately!
2. Motivation: natural consequences; expectant encouragement (someone to cheer you on)

-she has a 250 page book on 60 habits
-top 3 are 1. Habit of obedience 2. Habit of attention 3. Habit of truthfulness/candor

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I need to get this CD out and listen again. And maybe I need the book too.





2 comments:

Angel said...

https://www.blogger.com/profile/06820925595506920754

Carol has left a new comment on your post "Notes on Habits":

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure...

(I accidentally deleted it -so I'm posting it.)

Angel said...

Thanks Carol!