Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Charlotte Mason Style History

The fatal mistake is in the notion that he must learn 'outlines,' or a baby edition of the whole history of England, or of Rome, just as he must cover the geography of all the world. Let him, on the contrary, linger pleasantly over the history of a single man, a short period, until he thinks the thoughts of that man, is at home in the ways of that period. Though he is reading and thinking of the lifetime of a single man, he is really getting intimately acquainted with the history of a whole nation for a whole age.
CM Vol 1 pg 280

Recently we "revised" our history readings to envelope this idea. I think sometimes I get away from what is simple - not easy, but simple. I complicate things too much. In my quest to cover "it all" by the time they graduate. I have to back up and think of my own poor highschool education. Well, I certainly didn't learn "it all". In fact in our school, the grade was all that counted and you could get a good grade several different ways, without really knowing the material.

So instead my quest is for my dc to love learning. And you know we all want that don't we?

No comments: