Friday, November 13, 2009

Making Hummus today


Today I'm making a BIG batch of hummus. I'm making it all from scratch!

I used a one pound bag of chickpeas and cooked them in the crock pot with water, onion powder, garlic powder and some salt I think.
I drained them and reserved some juice for the blender.
I mixed in a large bowl:
the chickpeas
3 or 4 T of tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
cumin (I didn't measure!)
red pepper - a few shakes
red pepper flakes - a few sprinkles
salt
about 7 cloves of garlic

Then I took about 1 1/2 cups of the mixture at a time with 1/2 cup of the liquid and put it all in the blender and pureed it.

It made a HUGE amount of hummus about 6 cups or more.

I'm sharing w/my friend who was the one that talked me into trying hummus.

I admit the name sounded weird, then after I tried making it I realized it was just Mediterranean Bean Dip! LOL

Whatever it is, I love it!

My kids don't like it so much but that's okay. More for me. ;)

It's a great source of protein and low fat if you don't use too much tahini which I didn't.

The first recipe I tried called for 3T for one can of beans. I just used 3T for the whole batch this time. It's just right in my opinion.

No comments: