Friday, November 6, 2009

I found a way to make spaghetti that my husband likes!

I started with this recipe from the Biggest Loser.

Turkey Goulash
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
1 lb ground turkey (or lean beef)
1 can no-salt added kidney beans with liquid
1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into bite-size chunks
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt-free extra spicy seasoning mix, or more to taste
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne

Brown onions and garlic in cooking spray.
Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Brown ground meat.
Add the beans, squash, tomatoes, chili powder, seasoning mix, salt cayenne and the reserved onion mixture.
Bring to a boil.
Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally for 35-40 min or until veggies are tender.

~~~~~~~~~~
Oops! As I began cooking this dish I realized I didn't have squash or beans so I put in spaghetti noodles. DH loved it! He ate seconds and took it to work.

HE NEVER TAKES PASTA TO WORK!!!!

I didn't think of it as spaghetti when I made it. I really thought he would think it was slop. LOL
But he said, "This is the best spaghetti you've ever made!"
Maybe he isn't fond of Italian spices in regular spaghetti? hmmm

My new recipe:
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
1 lb ground turkey (or lean beef)
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt-free extra spicy seasoning mix, or more to taste
3/4 tsp salt
(I don't add the cayenne it's TOO spicy for the kids)

I basically followed the above directions adding in the noodles and some water. I'm not sure how much, sorry!

But the verdict is we all liked it. We love it actually!

No comments: