Friday, March 26, 2010

Praying for your kids

I have a book that I've had for a long time. Called Power of a Praying Parent. If there's one person to whom God gave the gift of intercessory prayer, it's Stormie O'Martian. God has really used her in my life over the years, even though I've never met her in person. I believe that "where two or three are gathered together, God is in the midst of them". I sense that presence when I'm praying one of Stormie's prayers.

I've recently gotten this book back out and started using it again. It's amazing to remember some of the times I prayed for my kids in the past and now that two of them are married I have added a son-in-law and a daughter-in-law to the list. Also I pray for my grandson. God is so faithful!

I have a family picture and I look at each face and name each name as I'm praying. Oh, I pray that it touches their life, but wow does it ever touch mine!

First off, God sticks a mirror right in my face to humble me and cause me to examine whether I am being a good model of these things as I am praying for my children. Many times (okay, all the time) I have to stop and confess and repent before I can continue. He is so amazing.

I love it. I love Him. I love my children!!!!

If you aren't praying for your children in a consistent manner, I highly suggest you begin today. The rewards and blessings are indescribable. You don't have to have a book to pray. I started out praying for the four "P"'s for my children -

Partner (future or present)
Path
Protection
Purity

These seemed to cover just about everything in general that they may experience in their lives. I also choose a "life" scripture or two for each child according to their personality or needs. I would personalize the pronouns to fit the child.

For one daughter it's Psalm 30:11-12 "Turn her wailing into dancing; remove her sackcloth and clothe her with joy, that her heart may sing to YOU and not be silent. O, Lord my God, her God, may she give you thanks forever."

Another one for a son was Psalm 5:11-12 "Let him take refuge in YOU and be glad, let him sing for joy. Spread Your protection over him that he would love your name and rejoice in You. For surely, O Lord You bless the righteous; you surround him with your favor as with a shield."

About 12 years ago I typed up some of these things on a page for each child and as I prayed I wrote new requests and praises along the way. It's amazing p look back and see how God has worked in their lives as they've grown. My youngest son has had one of these pages since before he was born!

God has really grown my family over the years. I can't thank Him enough for that. I'm making a fresh commitment today to pray for my kids and their families everyday not just "God bless them" prayers, but truly seeking God for what He wants to do in their lives and joining Him in it.


1 comment:

Leigha said...

I am so blessed to have you in my life! You have been such an encouragement and role model to me over the years as to what kind of mom I want to be to my children, and the kind of wife I am still learning to be.
I am so thankful that you pray for L and me. We love you so much.