Friday, April 1, 2011

The Homeschool Mother’s Journal ~2

The Homeschool Mother's Journal



My second Homeschool Mother's Journal  :)


In my life this week...
We had something on the calendar every day this week!  And this weekend we are moving my mom to a new place.  Busy, busy, busy! I'm reading a book right now called "The Fabulous Reinvention of Sunday School" I'm taking notes and feeling refreshed.  I love teaching kids!  


In our homeschool this week...
We had our first group session doing an Around the World in 80 Days unit study.  Met some new friends.  Played Whist!  We had a lot of fun.  I reinstated studied dictation in C's daily schedule.  Why did I stop doing that???


Places we're going and people we're seeing...
We went to a new dentist this week.  Trying a new dentist is very scary.  I mean, what if they just aren't good you know?  But my worries were unfounded.  It was great!  C had no cavities and got all the cleaning and treatments done and we were out in 30 minutes!!! Amen!


My favorite thing this week was...
The taco soup I made in the crock pot Wednesday.  And had again Thursday.  It's better the second time right?


What's working/not working for us...
Homeschool Tracker is working for us.  It's flexible enough for me to plan ahead, add something on the fly or reschedule if need be.


Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...
I found out that as we progress through Teaching Textbooks, the program changes.  I'm very bummed about this.  I really thought we would use this all the way through.  I'm not jumping the gun and abandoning it just yet, but am disappointed to hear this.  Anybody have any insight here?


A photo, video, link, or quote to share...
A picture that C made in paintbrush about a year or so ago??? Can you tell what he's obsessed with? ;)

2 comments:

Todd, Tia, & Tyler said...

I was rather bummed as well that Teaching Textbooks changes after Math 7. For pity's sake, the higher math is where I need the auto correction, not in 3rd grade!

Eileen @ Ordained Praise said...

We've always used Saxon but if you do not start your children young they do not get into the habit of doing the work involved. If your child is older, it may depend on how much you are able to assist them if they have corrections on which math you would switch to. If your child is before Algebra, we love Saxon. In fact, my daughter tried Teaching Textbooks one year and the following year wanted to return to Saxon. It was what she got used to. Thus, my point in getting them into certain work habits while they are young.