Thursday, January 19, 2012

Spiritual Warfare

I don't often post about spiritual matters, I'm not sure why that is...hmmmm
But I really just needed to write down what God showed me this morning.  I have this Bible reading schedule that a friend and I do.  We read the scripture, write our thoughts or what God revealed, then we pray.  I've been doing this sort of quiet time for well over a year now.  So as you go through the Bible you LEARN no matter what your reading schedule.  My Sunday school teacher calls it "the as you go principle".  It's so true!  I've been so amazed at what God has revealed to me in some very unusual or obscure passages!
Right now we are reading 2 Samuel and we were on chapter 21 today.  (This is copied from a NLT version of the Bible.  I know some people don't like this version, but I have been enjoying reading it because it's worded different and it allows me to have less preconceived ideas.  You know?)
Anyway here is the passage:


Battles against Philistine Giants
 15 Once again the Philistines were at war with Israel. And when David and his men were in the thick of battle, David became weak and exhausted. 16 Ishbi-benob was a descendant of the giants; his bronze spearhead weighed more than seven pounds, and he was armed with a new sword. He had cornered David and was about to kill him. 17 But Abishai son of Zeruiah came to David’s rescue and killed the Philistine. Then David’s men declared, “You are not going out to battle with us again! Why risk snuffing out the light of Israel?”
 18 After this, there was another battle against the Philistines at Gob. As they fought, Sibbecai from Hushah killed Saph, another descendant of the giants.
 19 During another battle at Gob, Elhanan son of Jair from Bethlehem killed the brother of Goliath of Gath. The handle of his spear was as thick as a weaver’s beam!
 20 In another battle with the Philistines at Gath, they encountered a huge man with six fingers on each hand and six toes on each foot, twenty-four in all, who was also a descendant of the giants. 21 But when he defied and taunted Israel, he was killed by Jonathan, the son of David’s brother Shimea.
 22 These four Philistines were descendants of the giants of Gath, but David and his warriors killed them.

I found it interesting the enemy was kin to Goliath in a way, and David is still battling and conquering them, although he almost got killed himself.  It makes me think of spiritual parallels.  The way we go into a "battle" but we are worn out and not refreshed and ready to handle it, but praise God for prayer partners who swoop in and save us!  Sometimes we need rest and renewal and we DEFINITELY need each other! And I also noticed that the same enemy cropped up again and again in David's life. Sound familiar?  It is to me.  This was so amazing to me that I decided to share it.   I love God's word and I love to learn from Him every day.

No comments: