Saturday, November 13, 2010

Plugging along

I haven't had much to blog about lately.  We are just plugging along in our school and family.  We finished our big black light show with our puppet team. Whew!  That takes a lot of my time in October.  I am about to start a part time job so I'm going through our schedule to rearrange things a bit.

DS is getting more independent but as usual, his school books (history, science, literature) are way beyond his reading level and I need to read them to him.  This is tiring for me, so I'm trying to find some alternatives and audio books.  They are so expensive!

We're almost finished with our first term.  Here's what we've done so far this year:


  • Daily Bible reading and journaling
  • Math (mostly fractions!)
  • Spelling
  • Poetry of Robert Frost.  DS memorized "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"
  • Artist Albrecht Durer. DS made a powerpoint for this
  • Music of Beethoven.  We listened, read and watched documentaries
  • Science - earth science, astronomy & space, a little chemistry 
  • History - from the civil war to now (DS Loves, loves, loves this and would do this all day long!)  We got these DVD's for free from the History channel.  They are his fav.  He would watch them every day!
  • Writing - we are using Writing Strands for a little creative writing practice.  He's working on a simple story right now.  We may type it up and post it sometime.
  • Shakespeare - we read Hamlet earlier in the year
  • Greek Myths - reading once a week
  • Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry - DS is enjoying this book.  I'm happy to know that my 12 yo child cannot fathom why people treat one another different just because of their skin.
  • The Hobbit - reading this for the 100th time.
  • The Story of My Life by Helen Keller - always fascinating
That's about it I think.  It's been a successful year so far! 

No comments: